On 29 March 1932 the Pervyi Gosudarstvennyi Podshipnikovyi Zavod (GPZ), the “first state-owned ball-bearing factory”, opened in Moscow. The factory, thought not fully completed, was Italy’s most important contribution to the first Soviet fiveyear plan under the trade agreement signed between the two countries in 1930 and renegotiated the following year. Pravda rhetorically described it as “a giant on a world scale… which eclipses the famous SKF and other ball-bearing factories”. Rhetoric apart, in these circumstances FIAT, through its associate RIV, succeeded in starting up the factory and acceptable level of productivity. But the GPZ also set the seal symbolically on the good relations in that period between Rome and Moscow.
Nowadays this factory is gradually slowing down its activity. The factory lies in a district enclosed between two important radial streets that lead to the center at North-East and South-West, while at South-East it borders the Moscow third ring. The distance from the centre is about 15 minutes by car. There are two large underground stations in this area, the most important of which is situated on the main street. This area is surrounded by an infrastructural network of roads of different capacities (This area is surrounded by a road network). The project will increase the number of inhabitants and users of this network. In the future, the potential number of workers and residents is estimated to rise up to 5.300 people. Furthermore, we should add the number of users and customers, which will vary extremely in a wide range.